MATERIALS & CARE
WHAT IS GOLD FILLED? HOW IS IT DIFFERENT THEN SOLID GOLD
All of our gold filled jewelry is made using a high quality 14k, 18k and 24k gold filled metal, other metals offered are solid 14k, rose gold and sterling silver.
WHAT IS GOLD FILLED?
To make gold-filled jewelry, multiple layers of solid gold are pressure-bonded to a core of high-quality jeweler’s brass using extreme heat. (Industry standards dictate that your piece must be 5% solid gold by weight.) The result is a thick layer of real gold and a durable, long-lasting product. Gold-fill jewelry is a great alternative to solid gold, as it offers the ideal balance of quality and value and is very great for sensitive skin as it carries the properties of solid gold.
WILL GOLD FILLED EVER TARNISH?
Gold fill can soften or tarnish naturally over time, but it’s easily cleaned. In most cases it will last you a lifetime and can be cleaned with soap and water and polished.
HOW DO I CARE FOR IT?
With just a little care, your gold-fill jewelry can last you years. The basics include keeping it clean, keeping it dry and making sure it’s safely stored.
Know what causes tarnish: 14k gold-filled can last beautifully for many years. But we’ve found that the wrong chemicals, when left on the surface of your pieces, can cause the gold to darken more quickly than it should. There are chemicals in a lot of things (even you!), and it’s important to be aware of the factors that could potentially cause tarnishing. We’ve included a list below of some of the worst and most common factors that cause tarnish.
Pools & Hot Tubs: Just don’t do it with jewelry on...it’s like a nasty chemical bath that will most likely party (in a bad way) with your gold. The chemicals used to kill bacteria in pools create a harsh environment for jewelry, and they’re even more concentrated in hot tubs. Or consider rinsing your jewelry with fresh water and a little bit of gentle soap after swimming
Body Chemistry: Everyone’s “body chemistry” is slightly different and a bit hard to predict. The simple fact that people’s hormones are different and a variety of things may come out of their pores makes this a difficult factor to nail down. But it’s a real thing that can cause gold to tarnish more quickly for some people. Unfortunately, unless you have experience with 14k gold filled and know how it works with your skin, the only way to know is to try it. For 90% of people, it’s a love match. For the other 10%, pieces might not be quite as sparkly after a few months.
SWEAT and Product: Perfume, hairspray, lotions...and worst of all, sunscreen! Try to minimize these kinds of things ending up on your jewelry by putting your jewelry on last or taking it off for certain activities. Try to rinse or clean your jewelry off after coming into heavy exposure.
Personal Experience: I have been wearing some of my 14k gold-filled necklaces for over five years now and they're still gold and lovely. A few chains aren't as sparkly as when they were new, but it's not as noticeable against my skin (vs on white paper, for example). To be honest with you I rarely take my pieces off I sleep in them I shower in them I still wear them in my pool and in the ocean! I consider myself a bit of a guinea pig for the line and I love how they still look and feel.
CARING FOR YOUR GOLD FILLED JEWELRY
If you know you've been sweaty that day or the piece might have product on it (especially sunscreen!), it would be great to give it a quick rinse in lukewarm water and dry it with a soft cloth. Also, taking your jewelry off to sleep will do a great deal to help it last longer.
If you know your piece got caked in sunscreen, sweat or some other product, it's best to give it a nice, deep clean, asap.
• Get a bowl of warm water with a touch of gentle dish soap or a vinegar and baking soda mixture
• Let the piece soak for about a minute.
• Give it a scrub with an ultrasoft toothbrush, making sure to really get into the chain where the dirt and product like to build up.
• Rinse it in lukewarm water a few times to make sure all the soap is off.
• Dry it well afterward, and especially make sure it's nice and dry before storing it.